Stainless steel is a grade that is very sought-after in the industry. The grade has enhanced strength and superior corrosion resistance properties. The SS grade can be availed with different content carbon. Amongst the low carbon specification, the 317l and 316l grades are the two most versatile and common grades utilized. Find the difference between 316l stainless steel and 317l stainless steel in terms of physical properties, composition, price, and application.
The 316l and 317l grades are austenitic Slotted Pipe grades that have enhanced strength and superior corrosion resistance properties. But What is type 317l stainless steel? The 317L is a low-carbon version of the 317 grade. This steel is a molybdenum-bearing grade that has excellent resistance to attacks from acids induced by pitting and general corrosion. The SS317l is the most popular grade that is demand across the globe. Similar to this, the SS316l grade is a low carbon grade of the 316 configurations that are seen in different marine applications and systems. Understanding the difference between ss 317 vs ss316 is essential in identifying key characteristics that are well-suited for use in different applications. Listed below are some key aspects of both grades that will help you in making the correct choice, while selecting the perfect grade for your project. The 317l Slotted Pipe datasheet, along with the 316l grade sheet, is listed below.
- The ss 317l chemical composition is designed with 18 to 20% of chromium with 11 to 15% of nickel, 3 to 4% of molybdenum, and balanced content of iron. The versatile Slotted Pipe composition also consists of 2% of manganese, 1% silicon, 0.045% phosphorous, and 0.03% of carbon and sulfur concentration.
- The Slotted Pipe is designed with a chemical content of 16 to 18% chromium, 10 to 14% nickel, and 2 to 3% of molybdenum. It is also made composed of 0.03% carbon, 2% manganese, 0.75% silicon, 0.045% phosphorus, 0.03% sulfur, and 0.10% nitrogen.
The chemical content embedded in the stainless steel 317L grade gives it a slight edge in corrosive and reducing media. This is why 317l stainless Slotted Pipe is seen across stress-induced setups or harsh environments when compared to the ss316l grade. The 316l grade is also a viable option and can be seen in different applications that fit their chemical constraints.
- The 317l grade is designed with a melting range between 1390 to 1440 degrees C, with 7.89 g/cm3 being the ss317l density. The items from this grade have a thermal conductivity of 14 W/(m x K) with an electrical resistivity of 85.1 Microhm-cm at 20°C. They also have a modulus of elasticity of 200GPA.
- The SS316 grade has a density of 7.90 g/cm3 with a modulus of elasticity of 200GPA. These components showcase a melting point of 1390 to 1440 degrees C and have a thermal conductivity of 14.6 W/m-°K. They have an electrical resistivity of 74 Microhm-cm at 20°C.
Both grades have nearly identical physical properties.
- The tensile strength of Grade 316l is 485mpa & yield strength is approx. 170mpa. The items in this grade have a hardness of Brinell 217max HB and can be elongated by a minimum of 40%.
- The ss317l material is produced with a minimum tensile strength of 595mpa, with a minimum yield strength of 260mpa. These components can be elongated by 37% and have a hardness of Brinell 217HB max.
The ss 317l mechanical properties give them an edge and can hold higher pressures and strain compared to the 316l grade material. The 316l grade is not at all weak and can handle reasonable stress and pressure.
- The equivalent material of the 316l stainless steel that is recognize and specified by different standards is.
- SUS 316L of the JIS Japanese standard
- 1.4404 of the German DIN standard
- S31603 type grade specified by the Unified Numbering System (UNS)
- 317l stainless steel equivalent material specified by different standards around the world.
- 317S12 BS in the English standard
- Z3CND19-15-04 AFNOR France standard.
- SUS 317L in the JIS Japanese standard
The price of the Slotted Pipe price per kg in India keeps fluctuating based on various parameters ranging from availability of raw materials, supply chain, and logistical support. The ss 317l price per kg in Surat starts. Similarly, the SS 316l price per kg starts at $2.8 and can go up to or more. 317l stainless steel price in India is based on the sizes and dimensions of the product. Any additional customization or grooving of the grades will increase the rate of the product. Transportation and logistical support play a pivotal role in influencing the Slotted Pipe price. So it is very essential to buy steel from vendors who are close to your project site or have many outlets in and around the country for better deals and cheap transportation costs. To track your order, you can use the 317l Stainless Steel Slotted Pipe hs code that is assign by the vendor base on the shape and the product ordered.
The Slotted Pipe have a set of features and properties that allow them to be well-suited for a wide range of applications.
- Grade 317l Stainless Steel Slotted Pipe is best for air pollution control and is seen in flue gas desulfurization systems. They are also a feature in chemical and petrochemical processes and also cover the food and beverage processing industry. Petroleum refining, power generation along with pulp and paper processing are some of the Ss Pipe Manufacturer in India.
- The 316l grade is more suited for chemical and petrochemical processing in pressure vessel tanks, heat exchangers, fitting, valves, and pumps. The marine grade of steel is seen in a wide range of offshore applications, petroleum refining, and water treatment systems. Apart from this, it is also a feature in food and beverage processing, the medical sector, nuclear power generation, textile plants, and so on.
Some of the items in this list may be available in our day-to-day requirements, while others may be seen in more complex setups.
In certain pharmaceutical and food processing systems, there may be a requirement to hold hot organic and fatty acids. To facilitate this the 317lmn is use for providing stability and durability to this grade. The compound is made possessing increase resistance against chemical attacks and corrosive media. But what is ss 317lmn? The 317lmn grade is similar to the SS 317L grade but has a higher content of molybdenum and nitrogen. This makes the grade a viable option for use in chloride-containing environments.
Purchasing good quality steel from manufacturers of Ss Pipe Manufacturer in India helps you to get products at the most reasonable rate. As India is situated in a strategic location it can easily acquire raw materials and produce the best quality steel. The availability of abundant cheap labor is also a reason to purchase steel from Pipe Manufacturing Company in India. Apart from this, the good transportation facilities with connecting ports, airports, and good connectivity through roads allow the stainless steel pipe suppliers in India to supply the best products to your place on short notice. Both these grades have their set of similarities, advantages, and disadvantages; however, selecting the best grade between the AISI 317l vs 316l is a difficult proposition, but we hope that you have got a basic idea of both the grades after reading this blog.